Our Christmas || 2022

 Our Christmas was wonderful and of course worth remembering here. (Even if I am a little late.)

I think what made this Christmas so wonderful was the easy-going, extra time it felt like we had with many of our favorite people. I don't know if it was the prep work leading up to it, the snow on the ground that made us want to stay home, or our traditions that made it feel slow-paced, cozy and fun, but I would like to duplicate this feeling every year.Christmas Eve morning we hosted "Pjs and Pancakes" and were joined by some of our best friends. We had pancakes and sausage, homemade hot chocolate and mimosas--popping the champagne cork out the window and toasting to our health and friendship--all in the comfort of our Christmas pajamas. I like my home full of people and these are some of my favorite to fill it with. Next year note--more pancakes (and more champagne). Christmas Eve afternoon we changed out of our pjs and into our Christmas "fancy" clothes as the boys like to call them.We wanted to get to Church early to get a good seat (anyone else's kids behave better the closer to the front they sit?). We also needed to get there early so that Em and I could play the piano! Last year Em and I learned a few Christmas duets, and I so enjoyed the sweet time sitting next to her on our piano bench. This year we learned four songs and got to play three of them before church. I was more nervous than she was I think! It is safe to say that Christmas duets (which in turn cause some Christmas caroling in our house) are officially a Jansen tradition. After Christmas Eve Mass, our tradition is a "Fancy" supper (this year it was perfectly cooked steak, decadent mac'n'cheese, the best brussel sprouts ever, and as always, creme burlee), we open one present that is always a game that we play (this year it was Yahtzee), and we prep for Santa (this year it was a long letter written by Emery and some reindeer food made by the boys). Christmas Eve supper was made extra special this year with the addition of all of my Grandma's Christmas dinnerware. She would set the most beautiful (full) table for Christmas; I always loved how special and full of love she made all holidays feel. While we kept it simple with just the plates and glassware this year, someday I hope to set a full table like hers. She and my Grandpa will be with us on Christmas Eve forever.

Christmas morning and the three family celebrations to follow were full of fun.

Theodore loved his dum dum suckers the most and became obsessed with opening presents. He didn't care whose presents they were, he didn't want what was inside, he just wanted to open them. It was love at first sight for Bennett and his very own squishmellow, and I should have kept track of how many hours he has spent putting together legos and puzzles. While the Nintendo Switch was our big family gift, the image of Auggie running around the house in excitement still makes me smile weeks later. He was one excited boy. And Emery Kayt, no longer a Santa believer, giggled when she opened her Harry Potter books. That explained why we had been dragging our feet to borrow her the next book. It was a morning full of smiles, a secret thank you from Em, and winks from Douglas and I.

We are always spoiled by Nana on Christmas evening. I also love seeing my brothers as fathers and watching their kids make memories with mine. Jansen Christmas was big and loud and there is never enough time to catch up with everyone. This year my Dad's Christmas was at his new home-my grandparents' old home, and it felt really, really good to be back in Hidalgo. More years of more memories for those walls. 

This Christmas I just kept thinking about how many wonderful Christmas memories I have thanks to my parents and grandparents. Somehow they just keep getting sweeter though. 

Better late than ever--Christmas 2022









Comments

Popular Posts