Valentines 2023 || Gift Exchange and a Getaway

In this Jansen house you have to ask someone to be your Valentine. Auggie used to always ask me, that is until Theo came along. I tend to wait to see if anyone will ask me (its called who loves Mommy the most), and one year Doug didn't even have a Valentine. Its always fun to see who pairs with who and sweet to go shopping for just a little something special for your someone special.
I asked Bennett Lee this year; he was totally going to ask me, but I beat him to it. My Valentine loves me big. He is quick with compliments, can't go to sleep without a kiss and hug, and prides himself on being a gentleman. I just love him so much. Doug took him shopping for me and it sounds like he wanted to get me everything. I happily opened a great big heart full of chocolates (and he might have asked me to share). 
Emery asked her Daddy to be her Valentine. These two have always had something special-he just gets her and she gets him. Her first and forever Valentine. 
Auggie was actually the first person in the house to get a Valentine. He asked Theodore because "he is really cute" and was fairly sure Theo said yes. I believe him; Theo is obsessed with Auggie right now (for better and for worse). When it came time to get a picture with his Valentine though...that got a big fat no. 
Until he opened his two favorite things. Dum dum suckers and Rubble. Auggie's knew the way to Theo's heart (and a sure fire way to get a much sought after Theo-kiss!). 

Valentines Day 2023 was a sweet one. 

And while Bennett was technically my Valentine, my husband still treated me. If you ask him, he will tell you that he got me a re-chargeable mop for Valentines Day. This statement is not a lie. We do in fact have a new mop (which does have my heart), but if anyone asks me what my husband got me for Valentines Day, I would tell them all about our trip to Michigan this past weekend.
A couple of months ago I got it in my head that we needed to go to Michigan. In the winter. Yes, you read that right. I know people love Michigan in the summer, but crowds are not for me. I wanted beautiful views, bundled up, slow paced, yummy drinks, delicious food, just us and I wanted it now. So we went!
After about a four hour drive Friday afternoon, we arrived for dinner and drinks at the Journeymen Distillery. This place was literally Douglas in bar/restaurant form. 
We tried things we wouldn't normally try and lingered longer than we would normally linger. It was time to get into that Michigan mindset. 
We stayed in St. Jospeh. First thing on the list Saturday morning was to see Lake Michigan. This was our first glimpse and let me just tell you now, no picture will do it justice. The water, the sky, the sand--all of it was perfection. 
The second thing on the list Saturday morning was good coffee and brunch. We ate a lot of yummy food on the trip, but this right here was heaven on a plate. If you ever go to the Mason Jar Cafe in Benton Harbor, you have to get the stuffed french toast with fresh berry compote and creamed maple syrup. Do it. 
After breakfast we had to go back to the water. It felt odd to be at the beach in snow boots. 
We soaked in the sun, wrote our names in the sand, and watched two crazy guys wind surf in the 30-some degree water and wind. For real. I still do not understand how their bodies were in that water and wind. 
We also ice skated to the light house. Literally. Can you spot the man at the very end of the dock? He was out catching fresh salmon for supper. I just love meeting people who have a completely different life than I do. After our quite cold morning, we warmed up and relaxed at the local spa where we got a couples massage. I wish I would have gotten a picture of Doug in his robe (are you a robe guy now?) to commemorate his first massage. Besides ticklish toes, we give our massage experience a 10 out of 10. 
This was the best picture and really my favorite picture from Saturday afternoon. We spent the afternoon in an igloo laughing over a bottle of wine, day dreaming about trips we want to take and talking about the kids. Our plan had been to check out the Round Barn Winery, hike to a different winery, and then hike back. I guess time flies when you are having fun (in a sun filled igloo), because no hiking happened. But I have no regrets about this afternoon. 
Saturday night was spent at The Livery-a pizza/brewery/live music venue. A day before our trip, Doug stumbled upon tickets to see Brian Vander Ark-lead singer of The Verve Pipe. If Doug and I made a "Greatest Hits of Our Life Together" the song The Freshman would be featured on it, so it was super cool to listen to it (and belt it out) in person.
Saturday was perfectly full and so fun. 
Sunday's plans were made Sunday morning. Coffee and exploring Warren Dunes State Park. Warren Dunes was not at all what we expected. The water and sky were somehow even more blue than the day before, but it was the large and vast sugar-sand hills and beaches that really surprised us. 
When I think dune I think a little rolling hill. This was no little rolling hill. We hiked and explored for a couple of miles; we filled our shoes with sand. Every view was different--it just made me think about God and all of His creation. He was having fun and showing off when He made America, wasn't He? Think about all of the different landscapes our country holds!
After our hike it was one more yummy meal, then home. We were not gone very long, just enough to truly catch up, remember how blessed we are, and miss our babies. 

Michigan (in the winter) you were wonderful. I wanted beautiful views, bundled up, slow paced, yummy drinks, delicious food, just us, and I got it. 

And to Douglas, thanks for buying into my Michigan dream. Love you 1000.











Comments

Popular Posts