Double Blessed Day

July 16th (and the days leading up to it) would have to go on my list of "favorite times" of the year. It ranks right up there with Christmas, Halloween, and the Last Day of School. And it has a name too-Our Doubly Blessed Day!Emery Kayt turned double digits this year. Thats two whole hands and ten whole years of this sweet girl. She is considerate, content and calm. She is a constant source of help, positivity, laughter and love. Our family is so blessed to have her as our little selfless leader, and it is so fun to love on her a little extra.Because she deserves it. We love you Sister! Can't wait to see what this year has in store for you. Before July 16th was Emery's birthday, it was Doug and I's anniversary. 12 years ago we said our "I do's", and I don't think we could have dreamt up this life for ourselves. I'll save the mushy stuff for my man, but let's just say life with him just keeps getting better. I also can't wait to see what this year has in store for us.Ten is special and we wanted to celebrate in a special way....but we also had zero ideas. All Em knew was that she wanted to be with everyone she loves. Grandparents, Godparents, cousins and friends. But that's a lot of people. We finally decided this weekend called for two parties; double digits-double party. 

First up was Family Swim Day at the park! Pizza, pool, and cousins is all a girl needs.Oh and a delicious tie-dye cookie cake from Aunt Jordon. This swim squad had a blast and so did the adults. We were the only people at the pool for the first hour and it felt like everybody had a swim buddy. It was just an easy, laid-back day which is completely Em's style. We were blessed with the perfect pool day.After swimming the day away, Dora took Emery on a birthday date-supper and mini golf. D spoils her! Nana helped us out so much this weekend by watching the kids Friday night (couples golf and trivia) and watching the boys Saturday night (anniversary date). Nana moves in and Doug and I move out haha. We are spoiled by her!Douglas and I went fancy and celebrated 12 years with supper at Firefly and a few drinks with friends at the wine shop. It was all yummy and fun. Doug and I do a poor job at scheduling date nights, so having two in one weekend felt extra special. He cleans up pretty well too. Sunday we celebrated with a scavenger hunt, happy-day brunch and a friend sleepover. 

Doug and I could not think of a single thing to get Em for her birthday. She also could not think of a single thing (which is very on brand for her). Finally I had the idea of 10 presents for 10 years; they ranged from gum to a real camera with all of her favorite things in between. To gift them we wrote a scavenge hunt and Bennett hid the presents all over, even in the mailbox. We got our exercise running around finding gifts all morning!After our presents and Nana's (tickets to the Muny!) Doug cooked us a big happy-day brunch. Every time he does this I am reminded that I need more patio brunches in my life. Blackstone cinnamon rolls called for 10 candles and speedy version of "Happy Birthday".And brunch called for mimosa's (I am also reminded that I need more mimosas in my life) and happy-day toasts. Theodore knows whats up. After brunch we kicked the boys out to Grandma and Grandpa's (my house was silent for two blissful hours), so that Em could have the sleepover of her dreams. These six sweethearts haven't been together all summer and it was a fun (and loud) reunion.They played dress up, blared music, took a walk, made bracelets, tie-dyed, ate hotdogs (and giggled at Em's hotdog birthday cake), took pictures, giggled, watched a movie...and slept in. As I am writing this I hear the first stirring of girls in the basement.

I haven't asked Emery yet, but I already know without prompting she will tell me that she had the best birthday weekend. And I agree. This time of year is always the best because it is doubly blessed!

































Comments

Popular Posts