The Jansens Go To Tennessee

Bags are unpacked and we are almost rested up from our vacation to Nashville; a sweet little vacation I never want to forget. It was the perfect amount of packed with new adventures, our favorite things, yummy food, good music, beautiful sights and loud laughter. Nashville was the perfect spot for our little getaway.
While I loved Nashville, I really think the goodness came from these four. They traveled easily, they were up for a challenge, they tried new things, they were easy to please, they (mostly) got along, they slept like rock stars (parents you know this is key). They were just so fun to be with, and it gave Doug and I a little glimpse into our future vacations. I am sad my babies are growing, but man these big kids are fun. I am one blessed Momma. 

The Arrington Vineyards

We actually stayed in Murphysboro for the front bit of our trip to be closer to our hiking spots. One major perk of staying here was the beautiful Arrington Vineyards. This winery had all of our favorite things-beautiful views, golf carts to get you from A to B, food trucks, live music, and of course wine! I think it is normally quite busy on the weekends, but we went on a rainy evening which helped with the heat and the crowd. We all decided that if our time at the Arrington was any clue into how much we were going to enjoy our vacation, we were in for a really, really good time. 

Machine Falls and Rutledge Falls + Bartaco and Jeni's Ice-cream

Doug and I have learned over the years that we like a mix of nature days and city days on a vacation. I want to "rough" it, but I also want to take a hot shower and sleep with four pillows. This day was absolutely the best of both worlds and my favorite of our trip. Our first hike was a 3 mile loop with a beautiful waterfall in the middle. The hike was a mix of easy paths, steep hills and climbing over many new trees down from storms. Theodore was a little explorer, and I am sad to admit back to being Doug's buddy instead of mine. Finally seeing the waterfall for the first time after working hard on our hike was the best feeling. We had made it! Bennett and Emery were brave and went straight for the ice cold water. Those crazies, I thought. Next thing I know Douglas is daring me to go all in and you know what...he was right. You don't hike with your kids to a beautiful waterfall to sit on a rock. So in we all went (minus Theo...he was in fact happy to just sit on a rock). When I think back on this day, I want to remember the joy we all felt. It felt so good.
The next hike was just down the road. I wouldn't even really call it a hike because you could hear the water fall from the road. That could also be because of its size. Rutledge Falls is a hot spot for swimming and picnic-ing and thats what we were there to do! We spent the afternoon skipping rocks (Douglas is the king of skipping rocks), wading in the cold water, snacking and just enjoying the sights and sounds. We have decided that all summer afternoons should include waterfalls. 
It was a quiet drive to Nashville that afternoon. We found our little airbnb, unpacked, freshened up and hit the streets for a little taste of the city. We ate at Bartaco which I had heard about from Jessica Garvin. I do not actually know Jessica Garvin, but I have read her blog and followed her on social media since before I had Emery. She was actually where I got the idea to do my chalkboards throughout my pregnancies. As we were walking around that area, I glanced into a restaurant and who did I happen to see...Jessica Garvin! As we enjoyed our tacos (and margs) at Bartaco and giggled over my "celebrity" spotting, who would happen to walk right past me (like I could have touched him), but Jessica's husband. Doug caught a picture of me fangirling; we kept our eyes out for Jess but never saw her. I think I would have worked up the nerve to say hi. We will never know! This was just a fun evening after a fun day. 


Biscuit Love + Centennial Park + The Nashville Sounds

We wanted a big yummy brunch one morning and Biscuit Love fit the bill. Auggie is our breakfast eater so he was in heaven. Kid ate it all. With full bellies we decided to check out Centennial Park. Bennett loves a park, but with one look around and no jungle gym in sight he declared that he "already hated it here." Maybe I shouldn't have called it a park. We walked the grounds, checked out the Parthenon and headed back to our air conditioned car fairly quickly. That afternoon we took it easy at our Airbnb's pool. We were ready to cool off and chill out before our evening plans. That evening we had an absolute blast at a Nashville Sounds Minor League baseball game. Our seats were right behind the Sounds' dugout and by the end of the game we had been thrown eight balls from their 3rd base coach. We only made it home with one though-we shared. Other highlights include being on the big screen multiple times, icees, and meeting Booster their mascot. Em says this was her favorite thing we did. 

Broadway + The Gaylord + Dave and Busters

The kids and I slept in and took a morning dip in the pool the next day while Douglas golfed at the Gaylord. We joked that this was his favorite part of the trip. That afternoon we decided to hit up Broadway-the famous street of bars and live music in Nashville. For a weekday afternoon, Broadway was still bumping with people and music everywhere. Theo was indifferent, Em quietly took it all in, Bennett just wanted to go home and take a nap and Auggie loved it. But he is my 90's country fan so that is fitting. We got them all back to their happy selves with ice cream and a walk around some of the (air-conditioned) Gaylord Hotel. My goodness this place is big. Auggie wants to stay there next time (which is also fitting). Our final stop for the night was Dave and Busters. The kids went wild for this place. We had never done any sort of arcade before and they had a blast taking turns playing games. They even divided their winnings fairly and picked out the perfect prizes. Auggie says this was his favorite thing we did. 

Nashville Shores + Frozen Pizzas at Home

Our last day was spent at Nashville Shores-a large local waterpark. Before leaving, Doug and I announced that we would not be staying until the park closed at 6. We left at 6. Theo napped in my arms for the first hour we were there (okay maybe this was my favorite part) while Doug and the kids did all the big slides. 
The park was not that busy and situated so that Doug and I could play with Theo in the baby pool and still see the big kids in line for the slides. I think this is where Doug and I really realized how fun it is to have big kids. Slides are fun and all, but what I enjoyed was watching them decide which slide to go on next or cheering each other on at the bottom. I know they made just as many memories climbing up all the steps as they did racing down. Bennett says this was his favorite thing we did. That night we ate frozen pizzas, folded laundry and enjoyed one last night of vacation together. 

The End

The trip back was easy-peasy and it did feel good to be home. Looking back, we did a lot this trip. We played cards, we found golf balls, we played the lottery, we listened to our favorite songs, we saw 47 different license plates. We did big things and little things. We took a sweet little vacation to Tennessee that I never want to forget. 







































 

Comments

Popular Posts