Ending/Beginning

The first alarm clock set for the school year brings about two opposing yet simultaneous thoughts for me. The part of me that longs for the past and is sad that summer is gone (in the blink of an eye I might add) thinks of this alarm clock as the sign of the end. The end of sleeping in, of freedom and of extra time. The part of me that secretly looks forward to a bit of change and the promise of future fun thinks of this alarm clock as the beginning. The beginning of something new, unknown and exciting.

I think it is sometimes easier to mourn the end of something than be excited for the beginning. You know what you had; the future is scary. And like I said--I think for most, these two feelings go better when paired together than felt separately. God created some complex creatures didn't he? We can be sad and happy. Excited and scared. Sometimes there is that little pause in-between and we need a little push to get from one to the other. The Bible tells us that "The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases, his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning" and I just love Him for that. Remembering this gets me over that hump sometimes. When I want to stay put and comfortable, yet I know it will be even better to get up and go.

So I guess what I am say is when I set that first alarm, I am sad about all the goodness that is now in the past, but I am so thankful for all of the goodness that is to come.  

Us Jansens are having a wonderful school year so far. Our mornings have been easy, we have figured out what it looks like to add a Bennett to the mix after school, and I have to trust Theodore when he tells me he has salisbury steak for lunch everyday. This is the school year of music for Em. Voice lessons, piano and band (picking the French horn just like her momma) have her busy practicing and using the gifts she has been blessed with. I love her growing confidence in music. Auggie Boy is happy to be back with buddies; meanwhile, not so happy to be back at the counter doing homework after school. Bennett loves everything about school because he finally gets to do some of the things his older siblings get to do. When asked what his favorite subject is he asked if snack time was a subject? No...what about lunch? Recess? And Theodore is happy to play at Sharon's by day and very happy to be reunited with "the kids" by the evening. Oh! And my year has been really great so far too. Mom, Em and I said goodbye to summer with tickets to the Muny to see Sister Act. I had not been there since high school and Nana and Em were first timers. We had the best night. The weather was perfection and the show was sooo good. We decided that a show at the Muny is now on every summer bucket list. Thank you Nana for this little girl getaway!


Doug and I's house to-do list is quite large and consuming. Thankfully, we are really great at ignoring it. The part of my brain that says we should go to the lake is much louder than the one that says get up and do stuff. Chuck is always up for visitors, and I have learned that the best friend-get-togethers are impromptu ones. I have also learned that singing at the top of your lungs on a night time boat ride is what summers and friends were made for and what memories are made of. Maybe I love the end of August because that is when my birthday falls. Birthdays are another example of sad to see the end of a year and excited to see the beginning. I choose to always be excited for a new year. 35 and thriving! I was spoiled this year. Ice cream cake, surprise flowers, the perfect necklace, last minute evening with Kaci, and dinner and drinks (and big belly laughs) with some of the best friends a girl could ask for. I look ridiculous in every picture that was taken. Like I said, 35 and thriving. Meeting my new sweet little angel of a niece also made my birthday extra special this year. Harper Lynn was born August 31st. My Grandma would be so happy to have another birthday buddy (her's being the 29th, mine the 30th and now Miss Harper!). I couldn't wait to get my hands on her and neither could my kiddos. Cousins are the best and my children are very blessed in that department. Congrats to Austin, DeeDee, Alayna and Kate. And Harper Lynn...Aunt Ashley loves you!The end of August and the beginning of September have been good to us. Bennett lost not one, but two teeth (and his speech somehow got even cuter), we got new carpet (we might pick the lake, but we still get stuff done), Doug and I started running again (cooler weather where you at?) and we have been more intentional about filling our time (with good friends and each other). We are sad that summer is officially, officially over. But we are looking forward to everything the future has in store.  Thank God for endings. Thank God for beginnings. His mercies are new every morning!




























































Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts