Celebrating October

October is my favorite month. There I said it. It has the best of everything. The best leaves, the best skies, the best temps, the best scents, the best clothes, the best traditions, the best treats, and the best celebrations. This October has been the best of all the Octobers (although I am pretty sure I say that every October).  We have been celebrating our favorite things all month. 

We have been celebrating friendship. 
Kaci and I took to celebrating our friendship a few years ago, and I am so glad we did. It gives us the perfect excuse to have some just us time every year. This year we drove to Defiance, Mo to ride our bikes on the Katy Trail. We stayed in a bunkhouse (I called top bunk!) and over the course of the day rode 18 miles and went to four wineries. The weather was absolutely perfect and the trail and views so pretty. We treated ourselves to yummy food, long conversations and lots of laughter. We both agree that we would do it all over again and invite others next time (although we might not fit in the bunk house then). Kaci Weekends remind me of how much I miss her, but also how blessed I am by her friendship. 
We need to start thinking about our next trip...
Emery Kayt celebrated friendship this month too. 
She started the month with her best bud Charlee in Southern Illinois. I swear time away with her "other" Jansen family is Em's love language. She says she misses us (but I don't believe her). I am so thankful that Brad and Jordan love Em just like their own and for the fun memories she gets to make with them. I am also jealous-I want to go next time!
Em closed out the month celebrating with Anna and Clara at their first friend concert! We saw Lauren Daigle (so good), and it was just the best night. As the girls' sweet voices rose in praise and worship, I couldn't help but cry happy, grateful tears. I have been so blessed in the girlfriend department; because of this I have prayed for Em's friendships since she was born. I have prayed for kind, selfless, fun, loving friendships. Sitting there next to these three, I thanked God for His answered prayers. I am also so grateful for Emery and for the fun her and I get to have together.  
We do lots of birthday celebrating in October. Theodore turned three on the 23rd and Bennett turned six on the 26th. Their birthday week was full of candles in everything, donuts (so many donuts) and fun. Aunt Vicki took all four kids to the movies (Aunt "Bicki" is the best), Bennett had the best day of his kindergarten career (Mr. Rinker saying his name over the intercom made him the absolute happiest), and my throat hurts from singing "Happy Birthday" so many times. When it came to what kind of party the boys wanted, Theo had strong opinions. He is obsessed with Buc-ee's. Yes, the gas station chain founded in Texas. He has never been to a Buc-ee's, but that has not stopped his obsession. Needless to say, we were not surprised when he asked demanded to have a Buc-ee Birthday! Luckily sweet B went along with the plan...so a gas station themed birthday we had! Both boys were gifted the perfect gifts and it was so fun to celebrate these two cuties. 
Next year we will have two other birthdays to celebrate in October: Poptart and Pepper! Who are Poptart and Pepper you might ask? They are the newest members of this Jansen family...our RATS! Doug and I had the idea of getting Bennett a pet for his birthday. My first idea was a fish. Doug wondered about a gerbil. We met over our lunches at the local pet store and 20 minutes later walked out as proud new rat parents. I am still not quite sure how that happened. They really are the cutest things (if you don't count their tails) and the kids are in love. We have only had one lost rat, both Grandmas admit they are kind of cute, and Theo doesn't leave the cage open all of the time. So far, so good I would say. 
This final week of October we have been celebrating Halloween with all of our favorite traditions. Halloween for us means carving pumpkins, walking in the Halloween parade with Nana, dressing up as a family, and listening to "Monster Mash" on repeat. Every year carving pumpkins gets easier and more fun. Everyone got their own goop out (even Auggie), and the big two even carved their own faces. Theo and I were a team, and I think he was most excited to show the rats his pumpkin. My momma-hope is that even when my kids are all grown that they would still come home so we can carve pumpkins. 
This is only our second year, but the kids and I have decided that walking in a parade is far better than watching one (I know that is probably a hot take). Aug and Em walk fast and throw fast; Bennett Lee on the other hand passes every piece of candy out with tender love and care. By the end of the parade, Nana, B, and I were three floats back from ours! Theodore the Dragon was just happy to ride. 
The month of October ends with one of my favorite nights of the year. I love that our kids know that we will always dress up as a family. Again...my momma-hope is that they will want to dress up as a family for a long, long time. This years theme, "The Monster Mash", has a sweet back story. We actually had no theme picked out as of a few weeks ago, but Theo insisted that he was going to be a pumpkin. I just smiled and "agreed", not sure of why he was so adamant or who told him he should be a pumpkin. After telling me for the 100th time that he was going to be a pumpkin, I had an epiphany. My Grandma made Austin and I pumpkin costumes when we were 4 and 2...what were the odds that 31 years later these still existed and would fit Mr. Theo? We tracked the costumes down (at Aunt Linda's house no less), and when Theo tried it on for the first time, I cried. My Grandma would so love the fact that another blonde hair, blued eyed little boy got to wear a pumpkin she made out of love. I have so many sweet Halloween childhood memories, many because of my Grandma. Now my own children can say the same. 
All thanks to Theo and his pumpkin, we decided to do the Monster Mash and had so much (cold) fun. Supper with friends, trick-or-treating (some rode, some walked), and so much candy. I love these little monsters so much. 

Bennett's face was still a bit green this morning, and Theo had starbursts for breakfast. All signs of the best Halloween. The pictures in this post and the smiles on our faces, signs of the best October. 







 

Comments

Popular Posts