The Thrill of Hope

 I love Christmas music. Don't worry, I am not one to turn it on too early (I push play when my Christmas tree goes up, thank you very much), but I really do love it. Like most things, I think I love Christmas music because of the memories attached. I have a very distinct memory of wrapping presents at my Mom’s kitchen table while Alan Jackson's Christmas album Let It Be Christmas played on and on through the speakers of our little grey stereo. It was that or Rosie O'Donnell and the Dixie Chicks' "Merry Christmas From the Family" (I proudly know every word). Growing up playing the piano, Christmas recitals were a yearly source of favorite songs for over ten years ("What Child is This" being my all time fav; I have a goal to be able to play it again next Christmas). The soundtrack of my childhood Christmas season is a mix of old Christmas hymns sung loudly from the back red pew of Hidalgo Baptist Church or the soft a cappella rendition of "Silent Night" sung by candle light at the Christmas Eve service at The Potter's House. Now it sounds like Em and I on the piano, blaming the other for messing up "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" again or Auggie requesting Alexa to play "Blue Christmas" one more time before bed. Like I said, I love Christmas Music.
Since I pushed play on my Christmas playlist about a month ago, I have had the same line from the same song running on repeat in my head. When I wake up, it is there. Throughout my day, the words are on my lips. When I go to bed, it lulls me to sleep. The line: 

"A thrill of hope — the weary world rejoices, for yonder breaks a new and glorious morn."
The word hope is what I have been thinking about the most. Hope is a desire of something good, accompanied with at least a slight expectation or belief in obtaining it. Hope is the cause of daring-the opposite of living out of fear. We are told in Romans 5:5 that hope does not disappoint. The thrill of hope is that sudden, heart-pounding, butterfly-producing, anticipation of something incredible and life changing. After pondering this line for a month, I have come to the conclusion that it is the most perfect line to encompass this time of year. 
How many of us are weary? How many of us are hopeful for something better in the new year?
 "O Holy Night" paints a beautiful picture of the world in waiting. A world longing for light. The world this song speaks of is the same world today. It's you and I's little worlds too. While sadness may surround and our mind and body may be weary, there is a thrill of hope for restoration and light. There is a thrill of hope for joy, peace and rest.
Hope, by definition, includes a waiting period too. What is hoped for is a future event. As we close out 2023 with the birth of Jesus Christ (and all the fun festivities that go into celebrating!!) we also look to the New Year. What does the future hold? Many in my life are hopeful for some pretty big things in this coming year. A good diagnosis, a healthy pregnancy, a new home, a better job. Even more in my life are hopeful for the just as important little things. Passing the class, a new friendship, an easier schedule, healing heartache.
 My prayer for anyone reading this would be that no matter where you find yourself, no matter your circumstance, that you would experience the thrill of hope for what God has in store for you.

“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” Romans 15:13
Merry Christmas (now go listen to your favorite Christmas songs) 
and a
Happy (hopeful) New Year from the Jansens!


















Comments

Popular Posts