Blessed is the Season

"Blessed is the season which engages the whole world in a conspiracy of love."

I recently came across this quote about the Christmas season and feel like it perfectly summarizes the season we just experienced. Our family just had the pleasure of experiencing two beautiful weddings where tears of happiness leaked out and reminders of young love were felt and seen. We experienced three Christmas celebrations full of loving family where memories were made and remembered. We experinced the palpable legacy of love as we celebrated the life and grieved the loss of Doug's Grandma. Whether it was a really hard day or a day where somehow all troubles were forgotten, it is safe to say that love abounded this season for us.  

Doug and I kicked December off in sunny Florida. Our calendar has never allowed us to attend Heartland's Christmas party, but when we saw that it just might work this year, grandparents were called and flights were booked! We sat by the pool, ate yummy food and got all fancy--three of my favorite things to do with my husband. I don't know that I need to go to this party every year, but I do know that I need more of my favorite things. Who doesn't?
One weekend we got fancy in Florida, the next in Island Grove. Our nephew Zack married Abby in a beautiful ceremony followed by a fun reception (Jansens know how to party). Bennett Lee had the honor of being their ring bearer. This handsome kid took his job very seriously--walking up the aisle with a smile, partying on the party bus in style and dancing his way into the reception like the cool kid he is. I always joke that people should hire me to be a maid of honor (I love weddings and I am bossy). Maybe people would be interested in a professional bridesmaid and ring bearer pair!
Our first Christmas of the season was at my Dad's. There are three things I loved about having Christmas at his house. I loved the memories of my childhood Christmases that came flooding back when I stepped into this home. I loved seeing my children play with my brother's children (and thinking about my grandparents watching them). And I loved being with my Dad and brothers when we started telling stories. You can keep your gifts and all of your food--give me stories and laughter. Stories and laughter.  
I love, love our Christmas traditions. We are blessed to get to stay home for Christmas and blessed to get to fill it with some of our favorite people. We host Pjs and Pancakes. The invite is simple--come in your Christmas pajamas, eat all of our pancakes, toast to good friends and a good year (it is best if you pop the champagne cork out the window), play some games, and get out (we have things to do!). It is one of my favorite mornings of the year. 
On Christmas Eve night we go to church (where Em and I play the piano), eat a fancy Christmas meal, play a game, get ready for Santa and watch a little bit of a Christmas movie one more time. This year the potatoes and my candied bacon, goat cheese appetizer were the stars of the show, and Emery, no longer being a believer in Santa, thought that maybe Santa would like a little bourbon instead of milk (she is her father's favorite for a reason). There is nothing like Christmas morning with littles. I loved the click of the bedroom doors and the sound of scurrying feet to Doug and I 's room. I loved the sound of "Merry Christmas Mama" from my sleepy husband and the smell of brewing coffee. I loved the whispered "thank you" from my daughter and the exclamation of "this is what I wanted for!" from my youngest. I loved sitting and knowing and remembering how loved on I was by my family during Christmases of old and sitting and knowing and hoping that that is how my children feel now. 
After the mess had been made and everything had been opened, Nana arrived just in time for a big late breakfast. This year Theo and Emery were the chefs; they made an egg and sausage crescent roll wreath and the most beautiful monkey bread. They were quite proud. That afternoon Austin's and Avery's arrived to celebrate Nana's Christmas (where we are all spoiled by her). I love the picture from this year. Proof of the impossibility of nine grandkids cooperating for a picture, but the joy of it all nonetheless. By Christmas night all was calm again (not clean, just calm), and I loved sitting down next to Douglas and reminiscing about our day. Because it was a lovely one.
We celebrated Christmas with the Jansens on the 29th. We have seen a lot of our Jansen family this season, and it has been so fun. We have celebrated together: four weddings, New Years, sleepovers, Christmas. We have played silly games, busted some killer moves, cheered each other on, and laughed until our stomach hurt. We have also been sad together: losing a mother, grandmother, great-grandmother and great-great grandmother who's lasting love and legacy has touched hundreds of lives. While yes, Angela was 107, I have come to the conclusion over the last few weeks, that there is never enough time with someone you love. Never. No matter what-when-how, loss will not be easy. I think it might be even harder when the hustle and bustle of life (and this season) keeps moving around you, when really you just want to stop and sit in the sadness. I just know how much of a blessing this family is to me and how all of that points back to Angela. I also know that this family will be there in the celebrations and they will be there in the sadness. And that is a comforting blessing.
We finished this Christmas season off with one more...you guessed it...wedding! Perhaps saving the sparkliest for last. Lauren and Theo asked us to carry up the gifts during mass, and I would like to thank dum-dum suckers for getting us up the aisle problem free (our Theo is in his "I'm Three" era-if you know, you know). I loved taking sassy pictures with my sisters-in-law, slow dancing with Douglas, crying during the speeches and watching love all around me. It was the perfect way to close out this season and kick off the next. 
"Blessed is the season which engages the whole world in a conspiracy of love."

I love that even in its fullness--fullness of happiness, sadness, fun and frustrations--our Christmas season can only be described as blessed. Blessed because we are loved.

Christmas Season 2023







 

Comments

Popular Posts