More Weekend Please!

This past week and weekend just had me itching for summer. I mean, it doesn't help that there are only about 10 days of school left, but really it was the weather, the go-with-the flow fun, the sleepy smiles by the end of the long days that had me dreaming of June and July. 
It is a good thing Bennett loves it outside because that is where we are and where we are going to be all summer. Auggie is my outside guy. He is completely content just wandering around the yard with his "farm cat" (aka the stray cat that loves us) and his boots on. Doesn't even need toys. He checks on the garden that isn't even there and picks me "dandy-fires". Lately Emery and Auggie love playing with the little neighbor girl too. I told Doug that I am probably going to just put the pack-n-play up in the garage permantly so that Bennett's play area is always ready. I can't wait to add swimming and picnics to our daily routine.
I saw this picture on Facebook a few nights ago and it immediately made me think of Emery Kayt. She calls fuzzy Dandelions "Wishing Flowers" and our yard is free of them at this moment because she picks them and wishes immediatly. I now have a new love for these white, fluffy things.
Outside and in his bouncy seat--B's happy place! Friday night was one of my favorite kinds of nights. Impromptu friends supper and fire. I love getting the text mid-morning on Friday that says something along the lines of, "If you are free, we were thinking about building a fire tonight." My answer is always a big "Yes! I'll bring the ______________ (fill in the blank)." I love the casual come as you are feel. I love the ease of just needing to make sure we packed jackets and maybe the bouncy seat and a bottle. What I love even more is seeing my kiddos run around barefoot and happy until well past sunset. Friends, at any age, are good for the soul.
And I think our goal for every night this summer is going to be going to bed with windblown hair, dirty little toes and a big, exhausted smile. 
Saturday morning I had cheer tryouts. I am back in the Cheer game--Go Bulldogs! After that, Shar came over to cuddle my kiddos and visit too. Once naps hit it was time for Doug and I to get ready, we had a wedding reception and a 30th birthday party that just happened to be at the same location. Fun! Nana stayed with the kids. I think Auggie talked her into taking them to Cracker Barrel so he could have his favorite meal: carrots, a pancake and most of Nana's baked potato. After that it was a movie and popcorn night. Not much else makes them happier.
Our Sunday ended up a big, fun day. I love it when that just happens. First we went to Hidalgo to see Gigi and Papa. This has become our routine on Sundays but we hadn't been there in two weeks due to the flu and being out of town. It was good to see them. I think Bennett loved it the most...but he just loves attention. After that we headed home for naps. Well I thought that was the plan. Doug wanted to drive through Grove to see if they were farming--of course they were. Aug had just fallen asleep but we decided we couldn't pass up getting a ride with Grandpa in the tractor. You should have seen Auggie. We parked and Doug just whispered that we were at the farm and there were tractors. He slowly opened his eyes...looked around...and then about jumped out of his seat ha!
Big kids did a quick ride with Grandpa, played with cousins for a second and even saw a brand new baby goat. Quick stop but a good stop. 
We got home and decided that naps weren't going to happen. Sometimes good weather trumps naps....it was just a chance we were willing to take. We packed up the stroller and the kids and hit the track trail to run. Recently I have started running. Let me explain. Since having Bennett (six months ago!) I have just felt blah. I have been working on my eating habits but still lacked energy. I just felt the itch to do something. I also look at Emery (and the boys) and I want to be the best role model I can be. To be honest, I have always kind of struggled with body imagine and I don't want that for Emery. I want to be and I want them to be healthy and active. I gotta keep up with my crazies! 

I was inspired to run because of Doug. He trained to run a half marathon last year and I saw how great it made him feel. I am NOT training for a half marathon. Ha! I think the last time I ran was in 6th grade so I am starting from nothing. My goal is to run a few 5ks at the end of the summer. Doug was successful in running last year because he had two friends that ran with him to keep him accountable. I knew I was going to need that too, so I enlisted the wives of the men Doug ran with!
And I feel like writing it down here is another way to keep me accountable. I ran four days last week and already have a plan for this week....and I don't hate it! So far I can only run a half a mile without stopping but I had to start somewhere. 
Doug and I took turns running on the trail while Emery and Auggie ran around and explored. Emery Kayt is a runner. She loved it. After running, we took a break on a bench to catch our breath and share a drink of water. Emery declared that she really needed to "hibernate".....the girl meant hydrate and Doug and I have never laughed so hard. Auggie tried to keep up but his no nap and little bitty legs caught up with him. Doug had to carry him most of the way home. After that it was supper and much needed baths and everyone's eyes were closed the minute their wet heads hit the pillow. 
Big big news this weekend too! I am going to go out on a limb and say that August Samuel Jansen is potty trained! I cannot take any credit for this either. Our babysitter decided a few weeks ago that she was going to out stubborn the most stubborn kid around. Slowly he was going potty for her but not really for us. Flash-forward to Saturday. Doug was downstairs with the kids when Aug announced that he had to go potty....and there was no turning back from that. Undies went on and they haven't come off, not even at bedtime. Last week if I would have asked him to wear underwear he would have had a fit. Now the boy doesn't want to take them off. He is so proud and if you ask, he will pull down his pants and show you his new look. 
You rock Aug!!

A big fun weekend means we are already behind on this Monday. But I don't care. 
I will take more weekends just like this please!



Comments

Popular Posts