Birthday Week and Then Some

"Birthday Week and Then Some" is the perfect title for this post because that is exactly what it will cover. Last week we celebrated Miss Emery Kayt as much as we could but it seems like the fun started way before that and hasn't stopped. Picture overload is coming your way but I don't want to forget any of it. 
Going to the Drive-in has been on our Summer Bucket List for awhile but they had not had a movie fit for kids all summer. Insert The Incredibles here. Nana and I picked Katie up on the way (B and Douglas opted out of this one. Good call.) We parked front row and let the kids run around before the show started. They thought that was the coolest thing ever and I was reminded of the fact that I don't think my parents ever let me run around. #coolmom
All three kiddos stayed awake the whole time and we ended up having to cuddle because it got cold. It was a fun memory and I am looking forward to more nights at the Drive-in. 
The next morning I left for Cheer camp. I even drove the bus. Yikes. While I was away for the weekend, Doug took the kids to Sue and Sam's and I am sure rode the golf cart a million times and ate yummy food. Because that is what happens at Grandma and Grandpa's.
Monday was the start of Em's birthday week and I had to miss it. Still not home from camp. Nana took kids to Ballard Nature Center for their camp and some fun. They learned all about bugs so now Em is an expert on moths (and still thinks every spider is super scary.)
I missed that big dimple so much!
By the time I got back, Nana had wore my three out! We made plans for what the rest of Birthday week should look like and Em's only requests were swimming and a movie. Easy.
The next morning just happened to be dollar movies at Effingham. Paddington Bear was pretty good. Emery loved it but she loves every movie. Auggie was very wiggly and very spilly (popcorn and drink).
Bennett Lee has been boycotting naps unless he is somewhere other than his crib i.e. his highchair, the mall, the pool. I thought my arms were going to fall off but we checked "see movie" off Em's list.
Wednesday was swim day. We are die-hard Newton Pool people but thought we would live a little and try out a new spot--Mattoon. And it didn't disappoint!
Emery has come such a long way this summer when it comes to swimming (Thanks, Kelsey!). I have such fond memories of swimming when I was little and I love that Em will have them too. 
And like I said, Bennett will sleep anywhere but home right now. He is such a little tag-a-long right now, happy to just be apart of the fun. The perfect third child. 
We actually had zero plans for Thursday but on a whim decided to head to Terre Haute to their Children's Museum. We love it here and realized we didn't go at all last year.
Emery was pumped.
So was Auggie.
And Nana!!
After I remember this place I knew Auggie was going to freak out. They have a whole display of red tractors and combines. Heaven for a farm loving little boy! He was content to do just this the entire day and didn't want to leave after hours of fun. 
Em bounced around to all the exhibits. She took her Veterinary Job the most serious. I love the concentration on her face. Maybe she will grow up to be one...although she swears she wants to be a chef.  
There was even an exhibit B size. He thought he was really big stuff crawling all around. And man can he crawl fast all of a sudden. I am now entering the exhausting baby phase (like all phases aren't exhausting!)
The Children's Museum had a new 3-story high zip-line obstacle course thing. Very cool. I knew Emery was big enough to do it so I talked her into going on it with me. She was scared (heck I was scared) but she did one small part of it. I knew even that was pushing it so we called that good for this trip.
We were pretty proud of ourselves. I said I couldn't wait to try it again.....and she stayed pretty quiet.
Way to be brave, Em!
Friday night was the night we had all been waiting for. Birthday Ballgame! My Mom's boss gifts her Cardinal tickets every summer and we are always so thankful for that. We left Bennett at home with Sue and Sam. I am three kids in and have finally realized that a sweaty ball game is no place for a baby. He had way more fun being spoiled in Grove. Nana had promised Auggie a Fredbird for his birthday so he got his first Build-a-Bear experience. Nana couldn't not get Em one too seeing how it was actually her birthday. She went with the pink Cardinal's bunny. Always pink. 
The highlight of the night (since the game was rather boring and a loss) was meeting Fredbird. We are kind of Fredbird obsessed at our house so this was a very special moment. Aug was giddy. 
Fredbird autographed their stuffed animals and even took a family picture with us. I feel like I was giddy too--look at all the smiles! The rest of the game was just a sweaty snooze compared to this moment. Well except for singing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame", we love that song. 
Since it was a Friday night ballgame, we had thought ahead and a got a room at a nearby hotel. No long drive home--sign me up! Plus with Nana along it was like having a babysitter with us. 
So Doug and I headed to the 360 Bar to see the city lights and the kids snuggled in for a sleepover. I would call that the perfect night. We woke up to an already very hot Saturday morning but when in St. Louis.....
Grant's Farm was calling our name. I love this place. First of all, baby goats. Second of all, it is so much less walking then the Zoo. Also, shade. 
We saw a horse named Chuck, pet some lizards and snakes, fed the goats, rode the carousel and ate snow cones. I am pretty sure Auggie was disappointed to find that this was not a real farm.  He was obsessed with leaving and going to Uncle Terry's farm. Like that was all he talked about the entire day so on the way home Doug called his parents to see if there was anyway they wanted an Auggie. 
Of course they wanted an Auggie.
So we got a Bennett and they took Auggie and Emery (couldn't leave Birthday girl out.)
I missed my Bennett Baby!
Sue and Sam taking the big kids made birthday party prep SO MUCH EASIER. I hate to tell her, but from now on Sue is going to get allllll the kids the night before a party. Doug and I did our gift shopping, cake baking and house cleaning all without interruption. (We might have even got Mexican and margs too--which I might now make a tradition when someone has my kids.)
Emery Kayt wanted a Unicorn Birthday this year. Probably because our fav book is Thelma the Unicorn. Seriously, read it. I absolutely love how her cake turned out. Doug is the best Unicorn horn maker and our prayers worked because she was still standing by party time. Since she wasn't here during the making of it, Emery was pleasantly surprised too.
My girl requested Mac'n' Cheese for her birthday meal so we went the easy route and went to Cracker Barrel. Best Mac'n'Cheese in town according to Em and she knows her Mac'n'Cheese. 
Then it was time to celebrate our F I V E year old. 
Back in the day I would have pinterested for months to find the perfect DIY decorations and food for her party. This year I bought a unicorn banner (cuter than anything I was making) and literally only served cake and ice cream. And ya know what, she loved it and I am still the best mom ever (pats self on back.) She got the perfect gifts (including her own camera, roller blades, a fairy garden and a fish!)  and the rest of the night was spent with her cousins in the pool. That night we read a new Amelia Bedelia book and learned something out of her new Sign Language book. The girl was happy (until she got back up out of bed and was afraid of porcupines and shadows and really nothing at all for like an hour--being 5 has been a little hard for her lately.)
Monday was Em's actual birthday. We were going to start the day off with donuts but her nighttime shenanigan cost her those. She knew it and promised to be the perfect b-day princess from now on. We had a few friends over to play and swim and Douglas brought home pizza for lunch. I am getting pretty good at this easy party stuff. 
Em loves friends, swimming and running around the rest of the day in her damp swimsuit and pool-tangled hair. So this was her perfect day. 
Well after Homewood ice cream that evening, it was her perfect day. 

What you won't see in this post is the next three days. You won't see pictures of Sue and Sam coming to the rescue and keeping my kids two days. You won't see the cousin playtime or slumber party. You won't see Nana cooking supper and making sure all our laundry was done. You won't see Doug taking care of everything because I was away. But just know that all happened and I am forever grateful. 
My Grandma needed me and it was such a relief to me to get to be with her and know that all things were taken care of at home. So thank you.
I missed my little people so much and looked forward to spending time with them this weekend. We visited Gigi and Papa Friday morning and then headed to the Newton pool with Alayna. The girls swam and played so good together (without floaties eeeek!). Then the kids played outside until bedtime and Doug and I played rummy and drank wine until ours (I won). 
This morning we headed out the door earlyish so we could hit up the Farmer's Market. Doug and I always have big plans for us to go every Saturday morning but Momma likes to sleep in. Today was special because the square was going to be full of tractors. 71 degrees and tractors. Worth getting up early for.  
And now I want to get up early and go every Saturday. We bought a bunch of beautiful flowers (reminded me of Grandma Angie's garden), a 1/2 peck of peaches, sweet corn and a garden tomato for supper tonight. 
Since we were out and the breeze felt so good we decided to go to the park next instead of home. 
I am glad we did. I think corn and big burgers are on tap for supper tonight and maybe some friends too. But first I have got to get my third child to sleep.

Our Birthday Week and Then Some just gives me all the feels. I have seen and felt a lot of love these last two weeks. And heres to even more.

Comments

Popular Posts