Our Christmas || 2021

Christmas 2021 was a sweet one, full of old traditions and new memories. And lots of smiles.
The week leading up to Christmas was full of high temperatures, days worth of sleep and positive influenza tests. The flu knocked Bennett and Emery out this year. This has not been our fall/winter when it comes to health, but at the same time we have been very thankful that rest and fluids seem to be all that we have needed to get better. I think we will forever have runny noses, but tis the season. Em was fever free and feeling better right in time for our Christmas Eve celebrations. We carried on the tradition of "Pjs and Pancakes", but went with the "just us" version to be safe this year. We have discovered the best buttermilk pancake recipe with the favorite toppings including chocolate chips, marshmallows and Christmas sprinkles. Crossing our fingers for next year...I want a whole house full of Christmas pj clad friends. 
Our Christmas Eve tradition (besides pjs and pancakes) is to go to the children's mass and then home for a "fancy" supper and a board game. Church was extra special this year. Emery sang in the choir. Nothing makes me tear up like "Silent Night" sang by lovely little voices. Auggie was asked to be in the live nativity too. I wasn't sure what he would say when I asked if he wanted to participate; he surprised us by being so excited. He really wanted to be Jospeh but was pretty happy with his part as a sheep. This boy has just grown up all of a sudden and was so good this Christmas. Patient, content, helpful...while still being a fire ball of Auggie energy and excitement. After church, we gorged on smoked ribs and Mac n cheese (nothing says Christmas Eve like ribs, right?) and tried our hand at creme brulle. That really did feel fancy! After that it was one round of a new game, the making of some questionable reindeer food, and off to bed (with visions of sugar plums dancing in their head). I love, love our Christmas Eve. 
Christmas morning brought big smiles and big messes from these four. I have the sweetest video of the big three following Theo to the front room; his big grin was the only present I needed. (I do love my new robe and purse too.) No one really asked for any specific gifts this year, but somehow everyone got exactly what they wanted or needed. Christmas magic I guess. 
In the afternoon, Nana, D and the boys arrived; they were greeted by the most festive elf around (if I do say so myself). I spotted this little get up at Goodwill, and for $6 I couldn't pass her up. Who knew I was meant to be an elf!?! My kids think I am crazy, my brothers already did, and I think this is now what I always wear on Christmas. Love a new tradition. Like normal, Nana spoiled us all on Christmas and we just had a great evening playing, eating and visiting.
Sunday we headed to Austin's to spend time with Dad. The boys received what might be one of their favorite presents...real binoculars. Big emphasis on the real. If this is not Austin and Avery....
There was a little extra sweetness missing due to Grandpa not being able to attend. He has been sick (prayers that he is on the mend are appreciated), but we made a little video for him and told him a few stories when Doug and I went and visited him this week. Austin's was another fun Christmas celebration. 
We finished Christmas 2021 with the Jansens. Douglas even got a little festive this time! The Jansens needed a little extra Christmas spirit....by the time the party was here, sickness had sadly knocked out a few families. Thankful that no one is too sick, but very sad that it didn't get to be the crazy big and oh-so-fun get together we know it can be. I know everyone is putting that on their wish list for Christmas 2022.
It was still lots of fun and the perfect party to end on. 

Like I said, Christmas 2021 was a sweet one. Full of old traditions, new memories, and lots smiles.
I don't want to take the tree down and all of our lights are still twinkling. I think I will soak it all in for a few more days.

 

Comments

Popular Posts