The Girls Go to Texas

My last blog post was entitled "Best Yet", and I just have to smile at that because so far that phrase has rang true this summer. We have already had fun nights at the ballpark, our first summer lake day, a Jansen'n'Friends pond party and trip to Vegas for Doug and I. All before June! 

This summer has also already brought a girls trip; the first one of hopefully many!
A few months ago, when we were daydreaming of summer vacations and adventure, I decided it was time for Em, Nana and I to go on our first girls trip. Being the only girl, I have fond memories of always getting to tag along with Mom, Grandma, Dora and Aunt Linda. I can proudly say I have been to Dresden, Ohio (where my Longaberger fans at?) when not too many other 34 year olds can. I never cared where we went, as long as I got to be with those four. Fast forward to now, and that is how I would describe Em. Happy to be the only girl and happy to get to go on adventures. This time, in Texas!
This trip also marked Emery's first time flying. A few years ago we talked about flying...and she cried. No way was she ever going on a plane. The girl has clearly gotten braver. Flying was no problem, and we started the trip easy peasy. We landed in Austin to a hot sun and clear skies. We decided to explore a little and found some cute murals. 
Then it was lunch time! We ate at Irene's, and it was delicious. We also could have shared one meal vs. buying three. We swore we never needed to eat again. 
About a week before our trip, Mom and I actually started planning what we wanted to do. She casually mentioned that the only thing she knew was in Austin was the Lyndon B Johnson Presidential Library, but I probably didn't want to go there. Umm...excuse me. Of course I would! Leave it to the English teacher and the presidential buff to go to a library on vacation. 
And again, Em was just happy to tag along. 
The library was actually fascinating--full of Kennedy artifacts and Lady Bird info. We took our time reading every plaque and watching every film and wondering what was in the three stories of presidential archives.  To be honest, I think my Mom would still be there reading if Em and I would have left her. 
After the library it was time to drive about two hours to Waco. But no trip to Texas would be complete without a Buc-cee's stop! Douglas got us hooked on Buc-cee's after all of his Texas traveling, so we had to pick up a few souvenirs for the boys.
When we made it to Waco, we forgot about how full we were and decided a supper of local homemade ice cream was what we needed. We ate at Heritage Creamery on Baylor's campus, and I don't think I have ever had such a yummy waffle cone. 
Our final destination was the cutest little cabin outside of Waco, complete with a library ladder and loft for Sis and I to share; although, I think Em, Mom and I could have all slept in Nana's bed.
It also came with a beautiful Texas view. Morning coffee on the porch and evening chit-chats were some of my favorite parts of the trip. 
Thursday was all things Magnolia and Waco. First stop-Magnolia Table!
Magnolia Table did not disappoint. We shared fresh strawberry shortcake donut holes, Mom and I both had Egg's Benedict on Jo's biscuits and Em had a classic breakfast of pancakes, bacon and eggs. She swears the eggs were the best thing she ate on the trip...I mean she does love eggs, but really? We all loved it so much-Nana even kept her napkin. 
After breakfast we went on a three hour tour of Waco. If you want to know something about Waco, I am now officially an expert. It was full of Waco history, economic info, faith, Fixer Upper, Baylor Pride, wildlife, landscapes, food (we got to have ice cream again!). You name it, we saw it. Bless Em's heart too...that was a long time to sit, listen and look, but she always had a smile on her face. I mean I have always loved my daughter of course, but getting her one-on-one...I just love her so much. 
After our tour it was finally time to go to Magnolia. I have always liked and followed Chip and Joanna Gaines. I grew up on HGTV with Grandma and a love of cookbooks from my Mom and Aunt Linda. I have almost cooked my way through Joanna's first two cookbooks (the third is in the mail). The Silo's felt like my version of Dresden, Ohio to be honest--seeing something I have loved for a long time in real life with the ones I love. 
We strolled the grounds, took lots of pictures, browsed in the little shops, and visited Magnolia Press (get the 1905 if you go!). 
We also ate cupcakes. How could we forget the cupcakes!?
Our time at Magnolia was sweet. Mom and I both agree that it was much smaller than we thought it would be (and we were surprised that it was smack in the middle of Waco), but sweet nonetheless. 

As we got in out rental leaving Magnolia, Mom and I whispered in the front seats that it was time to find something a bit more Em-centered. (Not that she had complained once). We settled on the new Little Mermaid movie at a big theater and Chick-fil-a to finish out our day! Perfect ending to a fun day. 
Our last day in Waco was also a bit more about Em. We spent six hours (thats a lot of hours) at Hawaiian Falls Waterpark. The "joke" at our house is that I never want to get my hair wet when we are swimming (I have a lot of hair), so Em was pleasantly pleased when I promised to do everything she wanted to do. We lazy-rivered, obstacle-coursed, wave-pooled, waterslide raced, and climbed one million stairs. And then we did it all over again. And I even got my hair wet. 
Our last night was spent shopping at Target (we are such girls) and watching Princess Diaries with popcorn in Nana's bed. We laughed that we could have done everything we did on Friday much closer to home...but oh well. It was our trip and we did exactly what we wanted to do. Saturday we headed back to Austin (with another Buc-cee's stop) and made it home safely to three little boys (and a husband) that were happy to see us. 

All in all, our first big girls trip was a success. 
I just feel so grateful to get to make memories like these; safe travel, beautiful weather, special time with my mom and my daughter, boys all taken care of at home, being missed, making memories. All of it makes a girl feel pretty blessed and special!

I wonder where we should go next...























 

Comments

Popular Posts