So Much

So much. I have been sitting for a couple of days trying to come up with a few words to describe our summer. Crossing my fingers for something profound and perfect. Nevertheless, the words my mind keep going back to are not so profound. They don't even quite make sense on their own, but I have decided they are perfect. Our summer in not so many words is so much. Again, I know that just those two words on their own do not make much sense, but when I put them in front of a plethora of other words somehow the perfect picture of our summer is painted.

So much fun, so much swimming, so much ball, so much yummy food, so much time spent with our favorite people. So much growing, so much ease, so much fullness, so much laughter, so much love. And some how still so much that we didn't do. Summer break has always been special, but every year it seems to mean so much more to me with its traditions, adventures and extra time with the people I love. 
I just love our summers. I love that we are to the point in our lives that when I say something is a tradition it really is. I love it when my kids just know what we are going to do when a holiday rolls around. So much fun surrounds our 4th of July celebrations. We do all things lake with Chuck on the 3rd. With the kids getting older, we are finally back to staying out late to watch the fireworks; this year we were blessed to get to watch them from the boat. Everything is better on a boat. Theodore wasn't entirely sure of them at first, but learned to eww and aww them like the rest of us. We always take the 4th pretty slow-this year that meant sleeping in, swimming with best friends, Douglas grilling supper and fireworks with some of our favorites just like we do every year. And do I even have to mention the coordinating outfits (so much love for a matching party of 6). 
I love that summer allows us a little extra time with some special people in our lives. One of our favorite care-free, easy-going, laugh-so-hard-you-cry places is Uncle Phil and Aunt Tari's. We go up with Uncle Terry and Aunt Kim and that way everyone has a buddy. Em and Hannah. Auggie and Rube. Bennett and Nora. Theo and everyone. We sit outside, we eat yummy food, we swing on the tire swing, we hit golf balls, we make messes, we play silly games. Then we wake up and do it all over again. We always have so much easy fun there and as we are pulling out of the drive we miss them and want to plan our next trip up immediately. 
The kids and I's other summer must stop is Aunt Kaci's. Way back in high school and on into college, I always envisioned my kids being best friends with my best friend's kids. Growing up with each other by each others' sides. Over the years I have caught myself worrying that too many miles and too much time hasn't allowed for that special love to grow. But then we get together and I can't get over how much I love her kids and she mine. I can't get over how sweet our girls' late night giggles sound from their sleepover down the hall or how cute little boys with little trucks and tracks are as the play together on the floor of her living room. I am reminded that just like our friendship has stood the test of miles and time, so will these. This year Sharon and her littles joined which just added to the fun and memories. I always want so much more time with the amazing friends God has placed in my life. 
I love last hoorahs and being able to say yes to a little extra fun. I have come to realize that summer's end is not only sad for the kids and I, but that means Doug can't just pop home early to see his crew. That means random weekdays out at Grandma and Grandpa's (everyday I ask Theo what he wants to do and he always answers me the same way- "we go Bamaa-Bampaa's house?") can't happen. That means Nana's days off are really just plain ol' days off. My littles are loved, and I am happy to share. This past weekend Mom and I took advantage of her time off and Doug being gone. We decided one more little St. Louis getaway was just what we needed. Our first stop was Urban Air in Fairview Heights; oh my goodness did my kids love it here. They zip-lined (so did I, thank you very much), rock climbed, jumped, flipped...for six hours. They really did have so much fun. Plus how cute are our matching socks? The next day we went to Grant's Farm; I had forgotten how much I love this place. We were also blessed with no crowd and a breeze which made everything that much sweeter. On our way home Sunday afternoon the kids decided it felt like we had been gone much longer than one night, and they were right. We had packed our little trip full. Full of so much adventure, fun, laughter, memories, and Olive Garden breadsticks. 
There's so much we didn't do this summer. We didn't go to Holiday World, we didn't pick strawberries, we didn't camp, we didn't have near enough playdates or brunches on the patio, we didn't mini-golf. I didn't run, I didn't potty train Theo, I didn't get quite the number of house to-do's done as I had planned. But that is all okay. None of that matters. Because this summer turned out just the way it was suppose to. So much better than I could have planned myself.
Yes, I am sad it is over. I loved our summer of 2023. We have so much to look back on and remember. But we also have so much to look forward to too. So much.






 

Comments

Popular Posts